Sledding is a great activity but results in many accidents each year, some of which are very serious, even fatal. More than 55,000 visits to the emergency room each year are due to sledding accidents.
- Find a safe spot. Avoid hills with trees, fences and rock walls. Look for snow-hidden stumps, rocks and holes. On the Weston Town Green, avoid the exposed stone steps!
- NEVER sled toward a road, parking lot, pond, or lake.
- Be sure the sled does not have any sharp edges.
- Stay away from crowded slopes.
- Wear a helmet.
- ALWAYS have an adult supervising closely.