- Check your smoke detectors monthly. Replace the batteries twice a year when you change your clocks. If you have smoke detectors that are “hard-wired”, be sure you have the type with battery back up. The fire department will review proper placement of your smoke detectors if you are unsure.
- Practice a fire drill at your house. Choose a safe meeting place out doors.
- Teach your children to “Stop, Drop and Roll”
- Do not leave food cooking unattended. This is the leading cause of cooking fires.
- Give smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers as gifts.