Bicycling is a popular and healthy activity; however, it can be very dangerous. Please teach your child bicycle safety. Some reminders:
- Your child should ALWAYS wear a helmet, even on the driveway, a bike path or around the neighborhood. The helmet should fit properly and meet ANSI or Snell safety standards. This is true for children who are riding as passengers as well.
- Children under age 8 should ride only with adult supervision and should not ride on the street.
- Older children may ride in the street depending on traffic, individual maturity and ability to follow the “Rules of the Road.”
- Rules of the Road
- Ride with traffic.
- Stop and look both ways before entering the street.
- Stop at all intersections, marked and unmarked.
- Before turning, look both ways and use hand signals.
- Children should not ride at dusk or in the dark.
- Bikes should be well maintained and fit properly.